Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WTF - PIPE (Fond du Lac County parks department)  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Always Starboard

• Deck Hand
    • Always Starboard
WTF - PIPE (Fond du Lac County parks department)
« on: June 25, 2012, 10:57:29 AM »
Why does Fond du Lac County think columbia park (calumet harbor) is worth $1.25 ft. :o? If I am not mistaken that may be the most expensive place to overnight on the lake.  (get ready for it here comes the sarcasm) The well protected harbor allows you to be rocked to sleep when you are bobbing up and down like a bobber.  No water hook-up and the smell is what always brings me back late in the season.  I haven't mentioned the great facility showers that smell like a pile of roses on a hot summer day.  WTF Fondy...you can drive your $100k 40' RV there and get the same services minus the bobbing for $20 a night.  Bring a 34' boat and you are charged $42.50.  I stopped going when they went to a dollar a foot.  Then a good friend from out of town bought a boat this year, so I took them there to show them Pipe on 6-16.  Needless to say if I go back I am staying in the marina behind the park.  I was told it is $20 Elec/water hoop-ups back there and they updated the bathrooms recently.

Let me break this down for a 34' boat you can stay at the following:

Appleton yacht club $15 Elec/water $50 for the WEEK
Neenah Boat and Dock $10 Elec/water
Menasha Marina $23.8 Elec/water (I assume Lakeside park marina in city of Fondy is the same...have not been there in awhile.) 
Stockbridge $12 Elec
Highcliff $25.5 Elec
Pioneer $34  Elec/water (although I would not hook that water into my boat, yuck!)

Or you can go to lake Michigan and stay at Grand Haven MI municipal marinas for $43 a night!  Just checked as that is where I am heading in July. From what I have run in to slips on lake MI range from $40 - $77 a night, but most places have pools, whirlpool, laundry, ship store, kitchens, grills, lounge, cable and wifi..

These guys in Fond du lac county are nuts! They also are supposed to charge you during the day if you stay longer then 2 hours!

http://www.fdlco.wi.gov/Index.aspx?page=586
Docking Fee (Columbia Park Only)
9:00 am – 7:00 pm with electricity $10.50
9:00 am - 7:00 pm without electricity $8.50

Overnight Docking on harbor wall (Columbia Park Only)
7:00 pm – 9:00 am with electricity $1.25 per ft.
Boaters restroom stop, 2 hours or less, (if room available) No Charge

End of rant....thanks for letting me vent!
www.AlwaysStarboard.com
2000 340 Sundancer

Offline TheLucille

• Chief executive officer
Re: WTF - PIPE (Fond du Lac County parks department)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 01:23:44 PM »
It's a nice trip, and Jim and Linda's is great, but I agree it's overpriced for overnights.

When I first found out about the "2 hour" rule, I went and spoke with the guy in the camper in charge of things... he said they really only charge overnight guests and to enjoy the stay. I've never tried to pay since then, maybe it's changed now.

It's also $42.50 only from 7 pm to 9 am... so if you plan on getting in at 3 pm and leaving at 3 pm the following day, you owe $42.50 for the overnight plus $10.50 for the first day partial and $10.50 for the second day partial, or $63.50. That's rather completely ridiculous.

Offline Always Starboard

• Deck Hand
    • Always Starboard
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 08:26:22 AM »
I agree it is a nice place to visit. Unfortunately, they are not going to get me to stay there. I may not even be back as I like calling Cedar Lodge for dinner better then Jim and Linda's.  You can not beat the view though at Jim and Linda's.  Cedar lodge will come and get you from the park and take you to their restaurant.  A few years ago they bought a large van to be more efficient with passengers. They used to come in a late model Cadillac that took multiple trips if you had more then a few people. I think instead of going all the way down to Columbia park next time I will try brothertown's harbor.  Has anyone gone there since they re-did it?  I know you can not stay over night, but I think you could park there to get a ride up for dinner....? Has anyone done that?  It is a few miles north, but probably equal distance for Cedar Lodge to come scoop you. 

http://www.thecedarlodge.com/
www.AlwaysStarboard.com
2000 340 Sundancer

Offline Common-Bond

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 04:55:18 PM »
Have you tried to stay in the back at Cal-Harbor by Jake??? We stayed there last summer and was really reasonable/ slip/power and water/ and nice showers.  Also/ i would highly recommend tieing up at Columbia County Park(the one that is north of stockbridge) looks like your boating into the trees as the channel is very narrow and theres a wall you can park on.  The resaturant up the hill called Fishtale will come pick you up as well. best fish and potato pancakes on friday night. you will not be dissapointed!!!!  Capones pizza picks you up as well at Cal-Harbor

http://www.yellowpages.com/hilbert-wi/mip/fishtale-inn-808661

Couldnt really find a decent website for the restaurant but this gives you the number for pick-up/ the owners name is Duane,,
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 05:00:18 PM by Common-Bond »

Brad
1992 2350 Chaparral SX
"Common-Bond"

Offline Always Starboard

• Deck Hand
    • Always Starboard
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 06:26:58 PM »
Thanks, I have been to fish tale, but always walked never knew they did pickups. Is cal harbor the one behind calumet harbor? 
www.AlwaysStarboard.com
2000 340 Sundancer

Offline Common-Bond

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 06:54:03 PM »
Yes. just go back there/ its deep enough, just trim up and the guys name is Jake who runs the marina back there..  way way way cheaper than the shit- ass wall....

Calumet Harbor Jake's Marina.   360-3411

You will not be dissapointed/ he lets you have fires/ use the grills there/  Give it a try!!!

Brad
1992 2350 Chaparral SX
"Common-Bond"

Offline Always Starboard

• Deck Hand
    • Always Starboard
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 09:24:39 PM »
Thanks again. No trim v-drives but I am sure I will be fine. My buddy got fuel their and said they all seemed very nice. Have to do that next time. No more bobber on the wall!
www.AlwaysStarboard.com
2000 340 Sundancer

Offline wbIII.5

• Chief executive officer
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 06:26:34 PM »
We always go back by Jake too. Super nice, $20 for the night. They have picnic tables and a fire pit to use. Everything you need! We cannot trim up either and it is deep enough.
Kari and Wayne
2000 Four Winns 338
Sweetwater Marina